Workers & Retirees
Additional External Resources for Finding an Unclaimed Pension
Have you explored Finding a Lost Pension [PDF] prior to visiting these external resources?
- The Administration on Aging’s Pension Counseling and Information Program provides assistance to older Americans searching for lost pensions.
- The Pension Rights Center is a nonprofit consumer organization that provides information on pension-related topics and hosts PensionHelp America, an online resource for connecting individuals with counseling projects, government agencies, and legal service providers that offer free information and assistance.
- The Employee Benefits Security Administration’s Abandoned Plan Program provides assistance finding abandoned pension plans and the employers associated with those plans. You may ask questions or report problems with your health or retirement plan via EBSA's Consumer Assistance page.
- USA.gov offers resources to connect citizens with unclaimed money from the U.S. government.
- Learn more about pensions offered to veterans and their survivors through the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs.
- Information about federal and military pensions is available from the Office of Personnel Management, Thrift Savings Plan, and Department of Defense.
- The U.S. Railroad Retirement Board administers retirement benefits for railroad workers and their families.
- For state and local pension plans, visit state government websites or municipality websites and contact the applicable personnel office.
- The National Association of Unclaimed Property Administrators runs www.unclaimed.org, a free tool to search for unclaimed assets in any state you've lived in.
- The National Registry of Unclaimed Retirement Benefits is a nationwide, secure database of retirement plan account balances that have been left unclaimed.
- Your investments in life and health insurance are protected, up to legal limits, by State Life and Health Insurance Guaranty Association Offices, as are pensions that have been transferred to an insurance company. The Pension Rights Center has a fact sheet on pension transfers.
- Learn about benefits from the Social Security Administration.
- While PBGC is not associated with 401(k) plans, the Internal Revenue Service's 401(k) Overview and the Department of Labor's Retirement Plans, Benefits & Savings page provide information about 401(k) plans.